Butterscotch sauce is made up of brown sugar ,butter and cream. Brown sugar is caramlised and added to the heavy cream. Butterscotch sauce is poured over a cake or ice cream. I was about to prepare a butterscotch cake,so prepared this sauce. I prepared by combining brown sugar and butter together. It was good, but the sauce was not deep in colour. So I prepared it for the second time.This time, I caramalised the brown sugar first and then added the butter to the pan. The method yielded a dark sauce ,but be very carefull, not to blacken the sauce a lot. If not the sauce will turn bitter.Adding salt will balance the bitterness,but it will not cover fully.Enjoy this creamy sauce on top of your cakes or icecrems.Preparation Time : 5 mins
Cooking Time : 10 mins
Yield : 3 1/2 cup
1.Brown Sugar - 2 cups
2.Butter - 1 cup (16 tbsp)
3.Heavy Cream - 2 cups
4.Vanilla Essence - 1/2 tsp
5.Salt - a pinch
* Take a pan, heat it. The pan ahs to be bit hot. This way, the caramel is made without any delay.
* Add the brown sugar to the pan. Let it melt in the pan. The brown sugar,will change colour from light brown to dark brown. You can stop the process of caramelisation,at whatever colour you want.
* But the longer, the brown sugar is caramalised, the bitter it can change. So take care not to blacken the brown sugar.
* Now add the cubed butter to the pan and let it melt. The butter should combine with brown sugar. Alternatively, we can combine,brown sugar,butter together and melt it. But the colour of the caramel will not be deeper compared to this method.
* Turn the flame to medium low. Now add the heavy cream to the pan. I didn't have half cup of heavy cream. So I replaced, with 1/4 cup of heavy cream,1/4 cup of full fat milk . But if you are going to use plain milk, the sauce will take some time to thicken. Add salt to the sauce.
* Make sure, the sauce is thickened. The sauce will thicken,after it is cooled ,so stop the cooking process, till you have reached the right consistancy. After it is cooled, add the vanilla essence to the sauce.
* Once it is cooled, pour the sauce to a small clean bottle. Store it in refrigerator. When you want, bring it to room temperature. We can heat the sauce, to make it thinner.
* While melting the brown sugar, take care not to blacken the sugar. If not the brown sugar will taste bitter.
* Adding heavy cream to the brown sugar, will thicken the sauce.
* Adding bit salt ,will enhance the sweetness to the butterscotch sauce.
* Stop the cooking process, when the sauce is still thin,because it will thicken after the sauce is cooled.
* While serving, bring the butterscotch sauce and heat it to make it thin.