Sundal is an important prashad, which prepared during Navathri. I have gone to golu, where different kind of sundals will be prepared every day. Today . I am going to give you the recipe, which my MIL used to prepare . It is quite different from all. Here , coconut ,ginger and green chillies are grinded to gether and added to the tempering. The addition of ginger to the tempering will give out a very good smell to the sundal. To make it even more healthier, we can sprout the grains and cook .Try this simple sundal and celebrate "Navarathri".
Check my other sundal recipes
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
1.Chick peas - 2 cups
2.Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
3.Green chillies - 3
4.Ginger - 1/2 inch
5.Salt - as needed
1.Oil - 1 tsp
2.Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
3.Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
4.Hing - a pinch
5.Curry leaves - few
* If you have time, soak the chana or chick pea for an hour. I did'nt have time, so I went ahead and soaked the chana in hot water for 10 minutes and cooked , it for 3 whistles or untill it is cooked well. Reserve the water from cooking the chana. Use it to make dal,or any kind of dish in your cooking.We can also cook the chana in batches and freeze them. Whenever, we need, it ,just thaw it and use .
* Take a mortar and pestel ,and crush the ginger with green chillies. We can also, crush them in the blender.
* Take the grated coconut in a jar and pulse it well with the crushed ginger and green chillies. We can also add chopped cilantro , to give a greener touch to the sundal.
* Take a pan, add oil and temper with all the ingredients, given under tempering. Hing is optional, but it gives out nice aroma. Once the mustard seeds are crackled, add the coconut- green chilly mixture and toast them. Don't saute them, just toss them to remove the raw smell. Add salt to taste.
* Now mix the cooked chana to the pan and give it a mix. Garnish with cilantro.
Serve the sundal along with tea.
* We can also use red chillies to temper.
* This sundal has to be stored in refrigerator ,as we have added coconut to it.
* We can use canned chick peas too.
* The same masala , can be used to prepare other millets.